Friday, August 2, 2013

A Spaetzle Recipe like Nanny Would Make

It's hard to believe that it's been over 2 years since my Nanny passed away.

I hope to have a marriage like my Nanny and Papa had.  I've heard both sides of how they met and fell in love, and both stories are so different!  My Papa worked hard to win my Nanny over though.

Some of my favorite memories involve them, and a lot involved the kitchen too.  My Nanny was a great cook, and so is my Papa, though that was always the kitchen debate.  They would make homemade pizza together, each one making a different part.  My Papa says the sauce is what makes it and my Nanny would always say it was the dough and pepperoni.  I'll let you guess who did what!  It was always the BEST pizza though, and I still look forward to when my Papa makes it.  It's a Christmas Eve tradition!  It's just missing a really special woman now.

There is one thing that I hadn't had in a very long time.  It was my all time favorite food that my Nanny would make.  SPAETZLE!  A German egg noodle that goes great with roast and gravy.  I would always go back for seconds (and even thirds if there was any left!).  I don't think I've had it since before my Nanny got so sick, and making it the other day brought back some happy memories from before she was diagnosed with cancer.  I just wish she would have been able to be here to try it.

 
Spaetzle
 

Here is how I made it:

Ingredients:
4 Eggs
2 tsp Salt
1/3 cup Milk
2 Cups Flour (all-purpose)
extra salt for boiling water

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Be sure to add a fair amount of salt to the water.
2. Mix the eggs, salt and milk in a mixing bowl.  Add in the Flour and mix until combined.  The dough is very stick and will take a little muscle to mix well!
3. Using a Spaetzle maker (I found mine here), slowly drop dough into the boiling water.  This can be done using a cutting board and dropping "noodles" into the water, but is very time consuming!
4. Once dough floats to top, remove and place in a serving bowl!



No comments:

Post a Comment