Sunday, January 27, 2013

Cooking Time: Buttermilk Biscuits

It's very seldom that I actually have Buttermilk in my fridge, and I usually end up throwing most of it out! I decided to make some buttermilk biscuits tonight, so why not use ALL the buttermilk? There is no reason to have 12 biscuits for a dinner for 2.5. I hear you can freeze them though. What an idea. Homemade buttermilk biscuits when you need them!!

I can't wait to pop these suckers in the oven!

Ingredients:
-self rising flower
(Sub for self rising: 1/2 tsp baking powder & 1/4-1/2 salt to ever 1 cup all purpose flour)
-couple spoonfuls of Cisco
-buttermilk (DUH)

1. Pre-heat oven to 375*
2. Cut crisco into flour mix (make sure there are no clumps)
3. Add buttermilk till you get a wet/sticky dough
4. Flour the counter top, and place dough on top. Flip, so that dough is covered on both sides,
but don't kneed it in. You want the dough to stay "wet", but also need to be able to work with it.
5. Cut out your biscuits; reform dough to cut more. Do this until you run out!
6. Place on a greased cook sheet, with biscuits edges touching. Bake until golden brown. You
can brush with melted butter before complete done.

I LOVED my moms buttermilk biscuits growing up. It went perfectly with her homemade chicken & dumplings. Maybe I will post that recipe some day soon. It's an all-day thing! I do have a whole chicken in my fridge that needs to be cooked though. :)

(The picture is them "setting" in the freezer. If you plan on freezing them then be sure to put them in for a couple hours to harden before throwing them in a bag. You don't want to end up with a big mound of frozen dough.)

No comments:

Post a Comment